Beyond decorative uses, the new glow pigments are valuable safety and art tools.
MANY companies make the claim their products are the brightest- we are testing those claims.
UPDATE 09/02: Competitors finalized. If you did not enter in time, contact me for future testing dates.
1. Glow, Inc.
2. Culture Hustle (artist Stuart Semple)
3. United Nuclear
All of these companies have provided detailed information about particle size and type of material being used (Strontium Aluminate, doped Europium, etc.).
1. SAMPLE OBJECTS WILL BE PRIMED USING KILLZ ADHESION PRIMER
2. GLOW SAMPLES WILL BE MIXED AT EXACTLY THE SAME RATIOS, NOTING THE MICROMETER SIZE OF EACH PIGMENT. PAINTS WIL BE MIXED IN EITHER THE PROPRIETARY BASE PROVIDED BY MANUFACTURERS OR IF NO BASE IS PROVIDED, THE BASE OF ANOTHER MANUFACTURER. WATER AND SOLVENT BASED PAINTS WILL BE TREATED AS DIFFERENT SAMPLES, EVEN IF BY THE SAME MANUFACTURER.
3. AFTER USING A DIGITAL SCALE TO ENSURE THE SAME AMOUNT OF PIGMENT AND BASE WERE MIXED, PAINT WILL BE APPLIED TO PRIMED MATERIALS.
4. SAMPLES WILL BE CHARGED WITH A 1000 LUMEN XENON LIGHT FOR 10 MINUTES. A SECOND TEST USING ONLY 365nm AND 395nm LIGHT WILL BE CONDUCTED AND ANY DIFFERENCES NOTED.
5. SAMPLES WILL BE TESTED IN A FULLY DARKENED ROOM AT 6 INCHES USING LUX METERS AND OTHER OPTICAL EQUIPMENT, AND READINGS WILL BE RECORDED AT 5, 20, AND 60 MINUTES.